There are types of signage which need to comply with legal requirements such as a specific minimum text height per specified number of feet of clear viewing distance. Nevertheless,if you are going to make a signage,consider the location of posting and the most probable distance of your prospect viewers to your posted sign. Is your signage distinguishable from the other structures in its surroundings? Is your signage properly illuminated at night? Are there any structures that block even just a part of your signage from the sight of a viewer at a typical viewing distance? Such considerations should be noted. Here are the review points and reminders that seasoned sign makers give:
1. Comply with all legal requirements.
2. Signages are most often remembered or recalled when they are enhanced with colors and images. So,add applicable photos to your signages whenever possible and,although black-and-white themes are more appropriate for certain messages,put color to your signage,too,for heightened attractiveness.
3. Use minimal number of words and easy-to-read fonts and font sizes.
4. For directional signages,incorporate arrows into the design.
5. Use letters and background that have highly-contrasting colors between them. After getting to know the basics in sign or signage making,it is better to be familiar with the various sign making equipment,tools and supplies. Custom signage fabrication is not limited to paper-and-pen or paper-and-printer production. Below is a list of things a sign maker in business should be at least familiar with and should own,depending on the kind of signage he is making and the extent of his business:
1. Cutters – craft cutters,vinyl cutting systems
2. Engravers – rotary engravers,laser engravers,engraving systems
3. Laminators and Trimmers
4. Garment Printers – for garment decoration and fabric imprinting; there are heat presses and others,for sawgrass printing
5. Color Printers – aside from those for fabrics
6. Other tools,supplies and accessories
a. Sign Making Software,Sign Clip Arts,and Books on Sign Making
b. Craft cutter accessories – carrier sheets,cutter blade set,cutting mats (Teflon mat),ball point pen holder
d. Screen printers and screen printing inks
f. Paint Protection Film
g. Oil remover
i. Blades for vinyl cutters
j. Blade holders and pens
k. Cutter strips and accessories
l. Banners and banner accessories (like adhesive grommets)
m. Car and vehicle wraps
n. Fluids – application fluid,clear coats for outdoor durability,adhesive removers for vinyl letters,vehicle wrap wash or polish
o. Substrates for signs – sign stakes,metal blanks,portable display sign,decorative scroll brackets,license plate holders,sign stands,license plate blanks
p. Magnetic sheeting
q. Application Tapes
r. Digital print media,ink and ribbons
s. Racks – wall racks,storage racks,media tray or media rack Whether the list overwhelmed you or not,let it suffice to say that sign makers deserve to get due credit and sign making demand time and important considerations to produce a quality signage.